23 March 2011

Faster than a speeding doula

Well, as an antidote to that rather heavy last post - and to show I'm not taking myself or any of this too seriously...  I had to share this amazing thing I found thrifting.  It's a tin vintage sewing box, and it actually contained some vintage sewing gear.  It's one of those things that I usually see other people finding and always grumble to myself that I never seem to be able to luck into around here.




I'm also taking a stab at sprouting.  Here's the jar on day one (the soaking stage):



And here it is on day three - we actually have sprouts!



I don't know why I didn't expect this to work, but it seems to be going OK.  An initial overnight soak and then two daily rinses - one morning and one evening.  The only thing I am changing up is the draining device on the lid.  I started out with a piece of cheesecloth, but I think I'm going to replace that with a piece of screen cut to fit the top of the mason jar since the cheesecloth has been staying soggy and getting a little funky.  I also think I'm going to have to divide this crop in half and put some in a second jar.  I didn't expect them to increase quite this drastically in volume.  These are mung beans, which I've read are pretty easy to work with (and experience thus far bears that out), but I think for a subsequent sprouting adventure I'm going to try alfalfa or broccoli seeds since I'm more a fan of those as a finished product.  I'm so pumped about being able to have sprouts, though, since I love them but rarely buy them because they're so expensive.  

And...  expect perhaps a bit of radio silence here for a bit while I work on getting my doula business up and running.  The momentum on that has been absolutely nuts, and I'm working like mad not only on my certification, but also on designing a webpage and business cards and taking care of things like contracts and fee schedules.  Exciting, but...  yep.  Fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment